Goals and Objectives
- Goals of the Ateneo de Davao University
- Goals of the Ateneo de Davao Grade School
- Objectives of the Ateneo de Davao Grade School
IN MORE CONCRETE TERMS, the Ateneo de Davao University seeks to pursue the identified key goals and to address priority concerns, where each of the University units addresses the concerns in a manner appropriate to itself as a Filipino, Catholic, and Jesuit University.
As a Filipino University…
A more systematic and critical understanding of the Filipino culture based on the insight that culture, being a creation of human society, is open to intelligent modification and choice.
A focus on distinctive areas of concern, among them are:
- Muslims and indigenous peoples, children and women.
- Development and promotion of civic culture and consciousness and the promotion of responsive and responsible government.
- Job creation and entrepreneurship to address the endemic problem of poverty.
As a Catholic University…
- The message of the gospel focused on specific areas of concern of the students on self-identity and personal growth, family, civil society, Christ and Church, and the meaning of life among others.
- The deeper understanding of the faith and its inculturation into Philippine culture.
- The human and spiritual formation of faculty and students.
- The creation of the university into a truly Christian community.
As a Jesuit University…
- Excellence in all its programs.
- Focus on science and math, theology and philosophy.
- High level of competence in spoken and written English.
- Incorporation of information technology into the very fabric of University life and programs.
- The sense and mission of service for others and the country.
GOALS OF THE ATENEO DE DAVAO GRADE SCHOOL
As a Grade School, It is an academic institution that provides pupils with basic education and formation. Its work is to “lay solid foundations” that prepare its pupils to become well-rounded individuals. This means that the school shall equip the pupils with basic tools of knowledge, understanding, skills, habits, attitudes, and values which are immediately needed for secondary schooling and eventually for a higher level of formal education as well as for life-long use. This can be realized through excellent instruction and formation, robust research, and vibrant community service.
As a Catholic School, It brings pupils to Christ, who is the Heart of the Church. It strives to cooperate with the Divine Grace in the formation of young Christian boys and girls committed to the truth about God, man, and nature. It aims to develop in the pupils the following:
- Continuing search for truth in all disciplines leading to the ultimate truth, Jesus Christ;
- Understanding of the importance of the integration of Christian doctrine, moral, and prayer life;
- Respect for diversity of faith;
- Desire to constantly love and serve the Lord.
As a Jesuit School, It helps pupils to experience the Ignatian way of living and to share in the mission of the Society of Jesus according to their level of maturity. It aims to develop in the pupils the following:
- A humanistic habit of mind that includes critical thinking;
- Excellent personal, social, and communication skills;
- Sensitivity to cultures and faiths — one’s own and others;
- Ability to reflect and make good judgment and to put such decision into action;
- Leadership in various human undertakings as a form of commitment and service to God and others;
- Virtues that enable them to promote a faith that does justice.
As a Filipino School, It supports the continuing development of the country towards a better quality of life for Filipinos. It aims to develop in the pupils the following:
- Understanding and appreciation of their Filipino identity, values, and culture;
- Sensitivity to the culture of the Muslims and the lumads (indigenous peoples) in Mindanao;
- Deeper commitment, loyalty, and love for one’s country;
- Appreciation, protection, and preservation of the country’s products, natural resources, historical places, and tourist spots;
- Leadership spirit in the service of Philippine society especially in Mindanao;
- Understanding of the concept of peace that is manifested through words and deeds;
- Understanding of the truth that creation of wealth and its equitable distribution is an imperative to social justice;
- Growing awareness of global challenges and issues in relation to the Philippine context.
Source: Pupil-Parent Hand Book
OBJECTIVES OF THE ATENEO DE DAVAO GRADE SCHOOL
In keeping with the purpose of Jesuit education, i.e., the development of the whole person, the Ateneo Grade School shall have the following objectives at a level that is commensurate with the maturity and development of the pupils.
SPIRITUAL AND MORAL OBJECTIVE
Spiritual and Moral Objectives. The pupil shall have an understanding of Christian doctrine and its application to his daily life, a willingness to serve the Faith by sharing it with others; a tolerance for the religious conviction of others; and respect for the rights and dignity of others; develop a sense of stewardship and respect for life in all its forms, especially human life.
Intellectual Objective. The pupil shall develop, systematically, his powers of observation, creativity, critical thinking, reasoning, communication and collaboration towards the acquisition of knowledge, understanding, habits, attitudes, and values that enable him/her to engage to the modern world.
SOCIAL AND CIVIC OBJECTIVE
Social and Civic Objectives. The pupil shall have knowledge and appreciation of Filipino cultures, the global cultures, and their relevance to the changing world, develop digital citizenship in order to engage in society, and the desire to be an active agent of change to bring about a better and just society, especially in Mindanao.
Aesthetic Objective. The pupil shall develop an appreciation for the beauty of God reflected in the world around him through the arts, music, and other means of creative expression that enrich the quality of human life.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH
Physical and Mental Health Objectives. The pupil shall develop physical fitness, emotional and mental wellbeing.
Source: Pupil-Parent Hand Book