Goals of the Ateneo de Davao Grade School
As a Grade School
The Ateneo de Davao University Grade School is an academic institution that provides pupils with basic education and formation. Its work is to “lay solid foundations” that prepare its pupils to become well-rounded individuals. This means that the school shall equip its pupils with basic tools of knowledge, understanding, skills, habits, attitudes, and values; these are tools immediately needed for secondary education, and eventually for higher education, as well as for professional life. Our brand of quality elementary education can be realized through excellent instruction and formation, robust research, and vibrant community service.
As a Catholic School
The Grade School brings pupils to Christ, who is the Heart of the Church. It strives to cooperate with Divine Grace in the formation of young Christian boys and girls committed to seek the truth about God, man, and nature. It aims to develop in the pupils the following values:
- Tireless commitment to search for truth in all disciplines, which will all lead to the ultimate truth, Jesus Christ;
- Understanding of the importance of the integration of Christian doctrine, morality, and a life in prayer;
- Respect for diversity of faith;
- Desire to constantly love and serve the Lord.
As a Jesuit School
The Grade School helps pupils experience the Ignatian way of living and share in the mission of the Society of Jesus according to their varying levels of maturity. It aims to develop in the pupils the following values:
- Humanistic habit of mind that includes critical thinking;
- Excellent personal, social, and communication skills;
- Sensitivity to cultures and faiths — one’s own and others;
- Ability to reflect and make sound judgments and to put such decisions into action;
- Leadership ability in various human undertakings, showing one’s commitment and service to God and others;
- Commitment and strength to promote faith that does justice.
As a Filipino School
The Grade School supports the continuing development of the country towards providing a better quality of life for Filipinos. It aims to develop in the pupils the following values:
- Understanding and appreciation of their Filipino identity, values, and culture;
- Sensitivity to the culture of the Muslims and the Lumads (indigenous peoples) in Mindanao;
- Deeper commitment, loyalty and love for one’s country;
- Appreciation for, and the will to protect and preserve, the country’s products, natural resources, historical places, and tourist spots;
- Leadership spirit in the service of Philippine Society especially in Mindanao;
- Understanding of the concept of peace that is manifested through words and deeds;
- Understanding of the truth that creation of wealth and its equitable distribution is an imperative to social justice;
- Growing awareness of global challenges and issues in relation to Philippine context.
Objectives of the Ateneo de Davao Grade School
In keeping with the purpose of Jesuit education, i.e., the development of the whole person, the Ateneo de Davao Grade School shall pursue the following objectives at a level commensurate to the maturity and development of its pupils.
Spiritual and Moral Objective
The pupil shall have an understanding of Christian doctrine and its application to his/her daily life, a willingness to serve the Faith by sharing it with others, a tolerance for the religious conviction of others, and respect for the rights and dignity of others.
The pupil shall systematically develop his/her powers of observation, imagination, thinking, reasoning, and communication towards the acquisition of knowledge, understanding, habits, attitudes and values.
Social and Civic Objective
The pupil shall have knowledge and appreciation of Filipino cultures and its relevance to a changing world, as well as the desire to be an active agent of change to bring about a better and just society.
The pupil shall develop an appreciation for the beauty of God reflected in the world around him/her through the arts and other means of creative expression that enrich the quality of human life.
Physical and Mental Health Objective
The pupil shall respectively achieve and maintain physical fitness and emotional health, and develop a wholesome personality marked by maturity.